Babovka (Poppyseed Rings)
Ingredientsservings 465 cals
- Place 1/4 cup milk in a small saucepan and warm over a low flame. NOTE: BE SURE THAT MILK IS WARM, NOT HOT, TO THE TOUCH. Add the yeast and l teaspoon sugar. Cover and let rise until creamy.
- Heat the 1 cup milk in a small saucepan until it bubbles, then remove from heat. Add butter or margarine and stir until melted; let cool. Add remaining sugar and salt and stir until dissolved; then add beaten eggs, yeast mixture, vanilla, mace and ginger and mix together. Add 3 l/2 to 4 cups flour and stir until smooth.
- Place dough in a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and set in the refrigerator overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide in half. Roll out on floured board like a jellyroll, large and oblong. Evenly spread one can of poppyseed filling over each piece of dough, then roll up each piece and pinch the ends together to form circle two circles. Place each ring in a lightly greased round cake pan with a hole in the center; press rings down to flatten. With kitchen shears, make about 22 cuts, each 3/4 inch deep. Twist each piece slightly so that the rolls fan out from the center of the pan. Brush or drizzle melted butter or margarine on top of the rolls, cover and let rise in a warm place for l l/2 hours, or until doubled in size.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
Per Serving: 465 calories; 14.8 g fat; 74.1 g carbohydrates; 8.4 g protein; 25 mg cholesterol; 298 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I've been looking for this recipe. It is like my deceased mother-in-law, a lady that taught me to bake. Thanks.
Definitely worth the (relatively small!) effort. The dough is very soft and rises well. I microwaved the milk (both times) rather than bothering with a pan. Substituted allspice for mace. Becau...