- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in the oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Stir the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, and barbecue sauce into the skillet. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove phyllo dough from package and unfold onto a baking sheet. Cover with a damp kitchen towel to prevent the dough from drying out. Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Use a pastry brush to grease a 9x13 inch baking dish with the butter. Place 4 sheets of phyllo dough in bottom of the prepared pan; brush top of phyllo with butter. Spread a thin layer of chicken mixture on the top of the phyllo; sprinkle layer with cheese. Place 2 sheets of phyllo dough on top of the cheese; brush with butter. Continue layering chicken mixture, cheese, and buttered phyllo until chicken mixture is gone. Top final layer of chicken with cheese and 2 sheets of phyllo dough, brush top with butter, and sprinkle with remaining cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Bake in the preheated oven until hot and bubbly, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- An Italian cheese blend can be used instead of the Cheddar cheese, if desired.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 462 calories; 27.2 27.4 26.2 102 938 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
This dish provided a truly mouth-gasmic experience!! AMAZING! Only thing to put out there.. Anyone who is using Phyllo dough for the first time.. follow the directions on the box first. I had ne...
This is an interesting dish. I like the idea, but I'm not sure that the italian seasoning goes with this. I'm not a huge bbq sauce fan, but bf is, so I thought this would be a good thing for u...
i liked this recipe alot. instead of bbq i used italion dressing yummmy! i also used a little more ingredients as well just for a few more layers so good.
pomplemousse: it was not the italian seasoning that made it taste weird--it was the biscuits. Grand biscuits taste nothing like phyllo dough spread with butter. Please re-try. I am not into ched...
This was awesome!!! I don't like working with phyllo dough, but this recipe is totally worth it!