Armenian Pizzas (Lahmahjoon)
Ingredients50 m servings 771 cals
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C). Season lamb with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, and bell pepper and stir until just beginning to brown. Stir in the cumin, turmeric, paprika, and fenugreek.
- Immediately add the ground lamb. Squeeze lemon wedge over lamb, and drop the peel into the mixture. Break up the meat and stir until it has browned. Remove lemon peel.
- Stir in the tomatoes, ketchup, and parsley. Continue to simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes. The mixture should be spreadable but not too wet or the pitas will become soggy.
- Arrange pitas on a large baking sheet unless you are baking them directly on the oven rack. Spoon meat mixture onto pitas and smooth into an even layer to within 1/8 inch of the edge of the pita. Sprinkle feta cheese on the meat mixture.
- Bake pitas until the edges are slightly crisp and meat is lightly browned but not dried out, about 10 to 20 minutes depending on whether pitas are on a baking sheet or on the oven rack. Squeeze lime lightly over the top, sprinkle with chopped mint and enjoy!
- Cook's Note:
- Tortillas may be substituted for the pitas. Ground lamb is authentic, but ground beef can be substituted.
Per Serving: 771 calories; 33.1 g fat; 74.6 g carbohydrates; 42.3 g protein; 126 mg cholesterol; 1663 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
This is wonderful. I used to get these by the dozen frozen from a Middle Eastern grocery. I do not live in the same area anymore so I had to try to make them myself. I was unable to make the dou...
This was a delicious dish, but only after I made it on pitta bread. The first night I made it using homemade pizza dough; I don't recommend this b/c by the time the crust was done cooking (on a ...
This is a winner for our family! Ground lamb goes on clearance regularly at our local grocery store and I usually have all the other ingredients on hand. We used Naan instead of pitas and he...
Made these tonight for dinner and thoroughly enjoyed them! I was able to buy fenugreek seeds at the local Indian market ("methi seeds"). We bought fresh made plain and garlic nann and used those...
I have made this a few times. It's so rich in flavor, it's one of our favorites! I have never used fenugreek seeds because I've never been able to get them, but the recipe has so much to compe...