Red Pepper Spread
made it | 0 reviews |
"This can be used as a spread on sandwiches, added to salads as a dressing, or even mixed with cream, heated gently, and served over sauteed chicken breast, veal scallopini, or pork chops. The flavors are subtle. When I made up the recipe I didn't want something too spicy, but you can add more habanero pepper!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 1 h 1 m servings 67 cals
Original recipe yields 36 servings (9 8-ounce jars)
- Immerse nine 8-ounce jars in simmering water. Wash lids and rings in warm soapy water.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red bell peppers, onion, and habanero pepper; cook and stir until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in sugar, vinegar, garam masala, and coriander; cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Stir apricot nectar and orange juice concentrate into the skillet. Bring to a boil; simmer for 5 minutes.
- Whisk water and 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour together in a bowl until no lumps remain. Pour into the skillet; cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Pack mixture into the hot, sterilized jars, filling to within 1/4 inch of the top. Run a clean knife or thin spatula around the insides of the jars to remove any air bubbles. Wipe rims with a moist paper towel to remove any residue. Top with lids and screw on rings.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with water. Bring to a boil and lower jars 2 inches apart into the boiling water using a holder. Pour in more boiling water to cover jars by at least 1 inch. Bring the water to a rolling boil, cover the pot, and process for 10 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the stockpot and place onto a cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, for 24 hours. Press the center of each lid with a finger to ensure the lid does not move up or down. Store in a cool, dark area.
- Cook's Note:
- If using a steam canner, process for 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 67 calories; 2.1 g fat; 12.2 g carbohydrates; 0.4 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 2 mg sodium. Full nutrition