Carne Asada Steak Sandwich with Avocado Salad
Chef Tom McAliney, Brandt Beef
Ingredients7 h 15 m servings 1532 cals
- Stir together cayenne pepper, paprika, black pepper, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, allspice, thyme, and 1/4 cup olive oil in a large bowl until evenly mixed. Smear the flat iron steaks with this paste, then wrap with plastic wrap, or place into a resealable plastic bag. Marinate in refrigerator for 6 hours.
- Prepare avocado salad by gently mixing cubed avocado, green onion, red bell pepper, red onion, cilantro, and tomatoes. Drizzle with lime juice and olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat and lightly oil grate.
- Grill flat iron steaks until cooked to desired degree of doneness, or to an internal temperature of 135 degrees F (57 degrees C) for medium-rare, about 4 minutes per side. Remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes. While the steaks are resting, cut each baguette into three pieces, then halve the pieces horizontally. Toast bread, cut-side down on grill until golden brown. Turn baguettes over, and place sliced cheese on the cut sides; allow cheese to melt.
- To assemble sandwiches, thinly slice the flat iron steaks across the grain, and pile onto baguettes. Top with avocado salad before serving.
Per Serving: 1532 calories; 80.3 g fat; 114.9 g carbohydrates; 95.3 g protein; 246 mg cholesterol; 1489 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
Absolutely fabulous! Who would have thought a steak sandwich could taste so good? I cut the recipe down to 2 servings for about 1 & 1/4 lb. steak. For the marinade I basically cut all the seaso...
Wow! That is some spicy stuff! First time I've ever made something with too much spice for my husband! If I do this again, I'm going to rinse some of the excess spice/paste off the meat befor...
This was so good, the avocado salad cools down the spicy meat. I marinated the meat overnight. We sliced thinly after grilling and used for fajitas. Will definitely make this again!
Amazing!!! things I did differently, I didnt marinate the meat so I put oil on the steak then drenched it in seasoning and cooked it on my grill pan on the stove. Toasted the bread in the toaste...
Excellent!!! I never worked with flat iron steak before. This recipe was easy and delicious. Followed the recipe exactly...wouldn't change a thing!
Amazing. However, I feel that you definitly need to scrape some of the rub off before you grill. It was super spicy. A new week nite dinner for the fam.