Chicken and Coconut in Banana Leaves
Ingredients2 h 5 m servings 740 cals
- Whisk together soy sauce, barbeque sauce, ginger, and coconut. Pour over chicken drumsticks, thighs, plantain, and sweet potato in a resealable plastic bag. Seal, and marinate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Gently warm the whole banana leaf over a fire or gas burner until the leaf is pliable, but not burnt, 3 to 4 minutes. Cut the leaf into four large squares, measuring at least 12x12 inches. Carefully cut four long, thin strips from the rib of the leaf, these will be used as 'string' to tie the packets later.
- Place a piece of meat onto each banana leaf square, and evenly divide the vegetables on top. Pour in any remaining marinade, and fold the leaves around the chicken like a present. Securely tie with the rib strips, and place the packets onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until the chicken is tender and no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. Check the packets occasionally to make sure they do not burn.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 740 calories; 33.8 g fat; 73.9 g carbohydrates; 42.1 g protein; 127 mg cholesterol; 282 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I was looking for a recipe to use up the coconut milk I had leftover from making Thai noodles. I did not have any banana leaves but I did have foil packets. I did add a 1 tsp of curry paste to t...
I couldn't help it and added a little minced garlic with the ginger. I made it for a friend who grew up in PNG and he said it reminded him of home but didn't taste like the food in PNG because w...