- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place potatoes on baking sheet and bake until just softened, about 1 hour. Allow to cool for 15 minutes.
- Slice off 1/2 inch lengthwise from tops of potatoes. Scoop out pulp, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells. Reserve 4 shells; discard remaining 2. Mash pulp.
- In a small skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add brown sugar, zest, salt, cumin, cinnamon, pepper and allspice. Cook until sugar melts, about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine onion mixture with mashed sweet potatoes. Stir in sour cream and cilantro.
- In bowl with mixer on high speed, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into sweet potato mixture.
- Spoon or pipe mixture back into shells. Place on baking sheets; bake until filling is just set and tops begin to brown, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Per Serving: 335 calories; 14.7 46.5 5.9 37 663 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I prefer either plain baked sweet potatoes or with brown sugar and marshmellow. some folks might enjoy this. I didn't and won't make again even though we love yams and sweet potatoes.
My whole family loved this dish - and they don't normally like sweet potatoes at all. My step dad ate his skin and all!
For me, I think there was just too much going on. The sweet of the potatos, the savory of the mixture and the citrus of the orange peel was just...overwhelming. Guess I prefer something a litt...
There was not enough of any one seasoning group to be anything but bland