Meatless Mushroom Tart
Ingredients2 h 27 m servings 523 cals
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Line a 10-inch pie dish with 1 sheet of puff pastry. Trim the edge so 1 inch hangs over the rim of the dish.
- Bake in preheated oven just long enough to set the pastry, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut the second sheet of puff pastry into 1 inch wide strips. Place the strips on the prepared baking sheet. Refrigerate the strips and the baked pie shell for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, and cook until soft and transparent, about 6 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and thyme, and cook until the mushrooms soften and release their juices, about 6 minutes. Mix the cream cheese into the mushroom mixture, stirring until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mushroom mixture into the pie shell. Arrange the pastry strips in a lattice pattern across the filling. Fold and crimp the ends of the strips together with the pie shell edge trimming any necessary pastry to make an even edge.
- Whisk the egg yolk and milk together in a small bowl, and use to brush the top of the pie.
- Bake in preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is heated through, up to 45 minutes. Check for doneness after 30 minutes. Cool another 30 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 523 calories; 37.9 g fat; 38 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 68 mg cholesterol; 322 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
This was not only delicious, but a work of art, as well. There are several discrepancies, however. A puff pastry sheet would barely cover the bottom of a 10 inch pie dish- I had to transfer it t...
I made this as a vegetarian option for Christmas Eve. Rather than using puff pastry for both crusts, I used puff pastry for the bottom and 6 sheets of filo pastry for the top crust. In addition...
I served this with a rib roast for Christmas and everyone who tried it loved it! The lattice pattern made the tart look really attractive and appealing next to the rib roast AND it tasted great!...
This is DELICIOUS. A great meat alternative at family dinners for those complicated vegetarians in my life. Thank you for providing something I can cook for them that doesn't make me want to sho...
A bit time consuming for the average weeknight meal. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in individual-sized dishes. After baking the crust, I added the mushroom mixture to the crust without...
Only gave it 4 stars because it is a big labor intensive for anyone who cannot be on their legs too long. Beyond that it is delicious.