Ingredients20 m servings 198 cals
- Mix peas, onion and bacon dripping in saucepan; bring to a boil. Simmer on low heat 15 minutes.
- Serve pea mixture over hot buttered rice and season with cayenne pepper.
- If possible, prepare peas an hour or so before mealtime. Then reheat when ready to serve.
- Add 1/2 cup (or more) small pieces of ham when you add seasonings to peas.
- Combining peas with rice creates a high protein dish which can be used as a meat substitute.
Per Serving: 198 calories; 5.3 g fat; 28.3 g carbohydrates; 7.9 g protein; 10 mg cholesterol; 459 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Gave this a try with great reviews, then introduced it to extended family where it disappeared. So easy, so good
This dish is pretty good for being so easy. Not fabulous, but pretty good. I did not have bacon dripping on hand (imagine that), but shortening and a little season salt seemed to work. I also...