Buffalo Tofu Sandwiches
made it | 0 reviews |
"I try to eat vegetarian but love hot wings. Then, I tried this sandwich at a restaurant in Denver and knew that I had found my fix. After some trial and error, I came up with this recipe. I like to put a little mayo on my buns. Also, I like to use low-fat substitutes, but of course full-fat originals can also be enjoyed. Serve 2 slices to a bun."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 13 h 1 m servings 496 cals
Original recipe yields 2 servings (4 tofu slices)
- Place tofu in a microwave-safe bowl; heat on defrost setting for about 10 minutes. Cut into 4 slices no more than 1/2-inch thick each.
- Arrange tofu slices side-by-side on paper towel-lined cutting board. Wrap paper towel around the tofu. Place a plate on top; set a 3- to 5-pound weight on the plate (a container filled with water works well). Press tofu for 20 to 30 minutes; drain and discard the accumulated liquid.
- Mix corn flakes and cayenne pepper together in a bowl. Place flour and egg substitute in 2 separate bowls.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the tofu slices in the flour, the egg substitute, and then the corn flake mixture; immediately place slices in the skillet. Cook until crisp and lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Pour out excess oil and crumbs from the skillet.
- Melt buttery spread in the skillet over low heat. Turn off the heat and mix in the hot sauce. Dip tofu in the sauce briefly until coated on both sides.
- Cooks' Notes:
- Butter may be substituted for the buttery spread.
- You can use egg in place of the Egg Beaters® if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 496 calories; 28.7 g fat; 46.4 g carbohydrates; 16.2 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 942 mg sodium. Full nutrition