Buffalo Tofu Sandwiches
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"I try to eat vegetarian but love hot wings. Then, I tried this sandwich at a restaurant in Denver and knew that I had found my fix. After some trial and error, I came up with this recipe. I like to put a little mayo on my buns. Also, I like to use low-fat substitutes, but of course full-fat originals can also be enjoyed. Serve 2 slices to a bun."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 13 h 1 m servings 496
Original recipe yields 2 servings (4 tofu slices)
- Place tofu in a microwave-safe bowl; heat on defrost setting for about 10 minutes. Cut into 4 slices no more than 1/2-inch thick each.
- Arrange tofu slices side-by-side on paper towel-lined cutting board. Wrap paper towel around the tofu. Place a plate on top; set a 3- to 5-pound weight on the plate (a container filled with water works well). Press tofu for 20 to 30 minutes; drain and discard the accumulated liquid.
- Mix corn flakes and cayenne pepper together in a bowl. Place flour and egg substitute in 2 separate bowls.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Dredge the tofu slices in the flour, the egg substitute, and then the corn flake mixture; immediately place slices in the skillet. Cook until crisp and lightly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on a paper-towel lined plate. Pour out excess oil and crumbs from the skillet.
- Melt buttery spread in the skillet over low heat. Turn off the heat and mix in the hot sauce. Dip tofu in the sauce briefly until coated on both sides.
You might also like
- Cooks' Notes:
- Butter may be substituted for the buttery spread.
- You can use egg in place of the Egg Beaters® if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 496 calories; 28.7 46.4 16.2 0 942 Full nutrition