French Onion Soup in a Sourdough Bread Bowl
made it | 0 reviews |
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 35 m servings 726 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Butter a baking sheet.
- Cut a hole in the top of each bread round, leaving the sides and bottoms untouched, to make the opening of the bread bowl. Pull apart the cut-out section.
- Place 1/2 cup butter and 2 tablespoons crushed garlic in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat until butter is melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Brush the insides of the bread bowls and the cut-out pieces with butter; place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 3 to 5 minutes. Leave oven on.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add sweet onion. Cook and stir until onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking and stirring until onion is very tender and dark brown, about 20 minutes more.
- Stir the remaining garlic, beef broth, chicken broth, wine, and Worcestershire sauce into the onions. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook until flavors intensify, 5 to 10 minutes. Spoon soup into each bread bowl. Cover soup with Gruyere cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is bubbling and melted along the sides of the bread bowl, about 5 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- The directions for baking bread rounds are based on the particular brand mentioned. Follow instructions on box if using a different brand.
Per Serving: 726 calories; 46.3 g fat; 52 g carbohydrates; 25.1 g protein; 126 mg cholesterol; 1994 mg sodium. Full nutrition