Festival-Style Grilled Italian Sausage Sandwiches
Ingredients30 m servings 631 cals
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat. Lightly oil grate, and set 4 inches from the heat.
- Pierce the sausages in a few places with a fork, and set aside. Slice off the bottoms of the onion halves so they will sit flat on the grill. Brush the bell pepper and onion halves with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Place the sausages, onions, and peppers on the preheated grill. Cook and turn the sausages until well browned and juices run clear. Cook vegetables until tender and peppers are slightly charred. Remove vegetables and sausages from the grill.
- Place the peppers in a paper bag, close, and cool slightly. Remove and discard the charred skin from the peppers; slice peppers into strips. Slice the onion halves. Place salt and pepper to taste, and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a bowl. Add the peppers and onions, and toss until evenly coated. To serve, place sausages in sandwich rolls, and top with the pepper and onion mixture.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 631 calories; 33.7 g fat; 56.2 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 61 mg cholesterol; 1258 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 35
Other than maybe Bobby Flay, I can think of no better grill master than hubby - and he says, "Don't poke the sausages!" Grill them over medium coals, till browned on all sides, about 12 minutes....
Oh my, there's nothing quite so tasty as a grilled Italian sausage sandwich! My husband and I are no strangers to making these and definitely feel you shouldn't have to wait for summer to have s...
Your recipe is great. I have done it your way and love it but I would also like to suggest a "shortcut" on the veggies that comes out pretty tasty. You can cut up the peppers and onions and gri...
Our family LOVES these sandwiches!!! I used sweet and mild sausage instead of hot. Used green pepper in place of red. I parboiled my sausages for 5 minutes on the stove top. My concern was t...
This is a great recipe! I didnt think the vegetables would make that big of a difference. But, they did..along with a bit of mustard..yummo **UPDATE**: When I made these again..I bought Johnsonv...
This recipe was great! I split the sausages & grilled them on my indoor grill. I cooked the onions & green peppers in a skillet, until carmelized. I then put the grilled sausage on top of a whea...
These were wonderful! I used sweet Italian sausage instead of the hot. I grilled them on my (very small)George Foreman, so we had to cook the onions first, then the peppers, then the sausage in ...
Great! Hubby butterlied sausages before he grilled them. We seasoned the veggies with a little garlic powder and grill seasoning when we took them off the grill. So easy but tasty!