Everything But the Kitchen Sink Casserole
Ingredients1 h 40 m servings 526
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Stir the chicken broth, mushroom soup mix, mustard, and honey together in a bowl until thoroughly blended. Set aside.
- Spread the rice evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Cover the rice with a layer of ham, then the chicken.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, celery, and carrots; cook until onion is transparent and caramelized, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook 5 minutes more. Spoon the vegetables evenly over the chicken in the baking dish. Deglaze the skillet by adding the Marsala wine; cook and stir over medium heat to loosen any browned pieces of vegetables from the bottom. Let the liquid cool slightly, then stir into the chicken broth mixture. Pour the chicken broth mixture over the vegetables in the baking dish. Sprinkle with parsley, bay leaf, basil, cayenne pepper, and thyme. Cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake the casserole in preheated oven until top bubbles, about 50 minutes. Remove the foil, and stir in the sour cream. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs evenly over the top. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more.
- Aluminum foil helps keep food moist, ensures it cooks evenly, keeps leftovers fresh, and makes clean-up easy.
Per Serving: 526 calories; 19.9 52.7 32.6 85 1451 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
My husband was intrigued by this recipe and he tried it. The flavor is good and savory, made me think of paella or arroz con pollo or something. HOWEVER, you should cook the brown rice first, ...
Maybe with white rice this would have worked, but following the recipe exactly the rice is raw. If I would have cooked it any longer it would have burned up.
As several people said, you MUST cook brown rice unless you are using Uncle Ben's or instant. Regular brown rice must cook for at 45 minutes with a cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid. This alone ...
Sorry this looked similar to one of my families favorites but the tastes just did not come together.