Grilled Sausages with Prunes and Bacon
"My husband's grandmother gave me this recipe. The combo of sweet prunes, salty bacon and meaty sausages is delicious. This recipe is great with any fresh, large sausage (just not the wee breakfast-style sausages). Sometimes I use sweet Italian, sometimes spiced Italian, sometimes bratwurst, sometimes knockwurst, and sometimes just local pork sausage. Serve in buns with all the usual fixin's (sauerkraut, mustard, relish, etc.)."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients30 m servings 541
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Prick the casing of each sausage in a few places to prevent them from bursting. Place the sausages in a pot, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer 8 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool.
- Place toothpicks in a small bowl of water and soak 10 minutes to prevent burning on the grill.
- Slice sausages halfway through on the long side. Stuff 3 prunes into the opening. Wrap a bacon slice around the sausage in a spiral and secure with two toothpicks. Repeat with all 6 sausages.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
- Place sausages onto preheated grill and cook, turning once, until desired doneness, or until bacon is browned. Serve on buns topped with desired condiments.
Per Serving: 541 calories; 33.1 39.9 21 79 1210 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This sounded so strange I had to try it. I loved the way the sweet prunes and salty bacon complimented eachother. Next time I will chop the prunes up more fine so they don't come out in big clum...