0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Clotted cream, also called Devon or Devonshire cream, is a staple at Devon tea services. Serve it with scones, sponge cake, or rolls. This recipe has been in the family for five generations. The cooking time and preparation time vary depending on your stove, the temperature, and even the season. It's a lengthy process, but the end result is well worth it! The clotted cream may be served in two ways: you can serve just the top part of the cream by skimming the thick top layer off. Alternately, mix the top layer into the cream completely, beating it briefly and gently. Any leftover cream can be kept refrigerated for up to four days. Serve with scones, sponge cake, or rolls."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 d 4 h servings 205
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 cup)
- Pour cream into the top half of a double boiler (see Editor's Notes). Let it stand at room temperature for 12 hours in the fall or winter, or 6 hours during warmer weather in spring and summer.
- Fill the bottom half of the double boiler with water; bring to a simmer over very low heat without letting cream boil. A thermometer inserted into the cream should read no more than 185 degrees F (85 degrees C).
- Continue cooking the cream until small bubbles rise to the surface and a golden crust forms on top, about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Remove the top part of the double boiler from heat; cover, and let stand for 2 hours. Refrigerate for 12 hours.
You might also like
- Editor's Notes:
- Do not use ultra-pasteurized cream for this recipe, or it will not clot. You can use heavy whipping cream that has 'pasteurized' printed on the carton. It may take longer to clot than raw cream but is an acceptable substitute.
- Raw (unpasteurized) cream is recommended if you can get it. State regulations vary on the sale of raw milk products. Check your local farmers' market for dairy purveyors. We do not recommend consuming raw dairy products, however, the cream is safe to eat once cooked.
Per Serving: 205 calories; 22 1.7 1.2 82 23 Full nutrition