Marzipan Christmas Kringle (Juleskringle)
Ingredients15 h servings 397
- In a small bowl, stir together the milk and sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the top and let stand for 10 minutes to dissolve. Stir in cream.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, salt and cardamom. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender or pinching with your fingers until it is a course mealy texture. Stir in the yeast mixture until well blended. Pat into a ball, flatten slightly, then wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- To make the filling, mix the almond paste, almonds, sugar, cinnamon and almond extract using an electric mixer until evenly blended. It may be crumbly.
- Roll the chilled dough out into a 2 inch wide and 24 inch long rectangle. Spread the filling to within 2 inches of the sides and roll up into a tube. Cover your work surface with sugar, and roll the tube of dough in the sugar to coat thoroughly. Roll and stretch the dough out to form a long rope about 40 inches long. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet and shape into a pretzel shape.
- Brush the top of the pretzel with egg white and sprinkle with almonds. Cover loosely with a towel and let rise for 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake the kringle in the preheated oven until golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into slices to serve.
Per Serving: 397 calories; 19.8 49.3 6.8 39 214 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
I was looking for something to bake on Christmas that was a little fancier than my standard cinnamon rolls. This was perfect. The dough is nice to work with and is very delicate and has fantast...
Thank you very much for this recipe. We had a bakery that baked these and I have been trying to figure out how to make them ever since it closed! The directions were good but I don't think that...
My family loves marzipan things, so I decided to try this last Christmas. It was a huge hit, and now I'm back this year to make it again! I wasn't able to find almond paste last year, so I mad...
This was a *fantastic* bread recipe! The dough is soft and flavorful but the almond paste filling puts it over the top! I made my own almond paste and rolled the dough out into two 12"x6" rect...
Great recipe. I had some marzipan that I wanted to use. I more or less followed the recipe; I replaced the heavy cream with milk. I added vanilla sugar instead of cardamom. I separated one egg,...
This bread is very, very good. I've made it twice now and it's gotten easier each time. I recently made it for a Christmas party and everyone LOVED IT and wanted the recipe!!!!!
This is a delicious bread, but needs some clarification in the steps. First, the dough will not rise, at all, in the fridge. This worried me, but the bread rose beautifully once it was a loaf ...
This is delicious and fun to make! I was so excited to make this recipe. I made my own almond paste (not as hard as it sounds). I also only used the almond paste as the filling, with sprinkling...