Westcoast Style Clam Chowder
- In medium skillet lightly fry bacon over medium heat; drain off fat and discard. Add onions to bacon and saute approximately 3 minutes. Do not brown.
- In a large stock pot add water and bring to boil. Once boiling add carrots, baby clams (including liquid), clam juice, potatoes, salt and pepper.
- Using a food processor or blender, puree tomatoes. Add to stock pot along with bacon-onion mixture and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes or until carrots and potatoes are tender. Do not overcook.
- Stir in celery and ketchup and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly while bringing just to boiling.
- Finally, add instant potato flakes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning to taste. If soup is not to your desired thickness add more instant potato flakes, about 2 tablespoons at a time.
- Remove soup from heat and let sit for about 15 minutes before serving.
Per Serving: 213 calories; 7.6 22.1 14.4 38 556 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Good example of westcoast style clam chowder. Using less water makes for a tastier soup and lets you use fewer potato flakes. I added some thyme to mine and a little garlic. Reminds me of the...
Tasted terrible, and looked worse. I should have followed my instincts. Tomato-based clam chowder is just wrong.