Anise Seed Rolls
Ingredients3 h 10 m servings 168 cals
- Pour the milk into a pan, and heat just until bubbles form around the edge of the pan. Remove from heat and cool to lukewarm (110 degrees F/45 degrees C).
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup lukewarm (110 degrees F/45 degrees C) water. Allow to rest 5 minutes.
- Beat the shortening with the sugar, eggs, salt, and anise seeds in a large mixing bowl. Stir in the milk and yeast mixture. Gradually mix in the flour, stirring to make a soft dough (dough should not be sticky). Add more flour if needed. Cover bowl with a clean cloth, and let dough rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Lightly grease 2 baking sheets. Punch down dough, divide into two pieces, and roll out each piece into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut dough into 8x1 inch strips. Twist each strip into a simple knot, and place on prepared baking sheet. Cover with a clean cloth, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Pour 1 quart water into a pan and bring to a boil over high heat. Dip each roll quickly into the boiling water, and return to baking sheet.
- Bake rolls in preheated oven until tops are golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Per Serving: 168 calories; 4.6 g fat; 27.6 g carbohydrates; 3.8 g protein; 11 mg cholesterol; 76 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
I also didn't dip the rolls into boiling water and I made them simple round rolls. Turned out great!
Four stars only because i was afraid to do the dipping in the hot water. They are so tender when they have risen and i was afraid i would deflate them. I baked them anyway and they were wonder...
I used all whole wheat flour, changed the sugar to 2/3 cup of honey, changed the shortening to oil, and upped the anise seeds to 4 tsp. All of this is due to family preference. What a delightf...
I skipped the boiled water dipping and brushed with a yolk wash then pushed brown sugar ontop and the result was amazing. They all disappeared immeadiately and everyone came back for seconds!