Ingredients1 h 40 m servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease two 9-inch round cake pans. Beat cake mix, dry pudding mix, eggs, sour cream, oil and water in large bowl with electric mixer on low speed just until moistened, stopping frequently to scrape side of bowl. Beat on medium speed 2 min. or until well blended. Stir in chopped chocolate and 2 Tbsp. of the crushed candy canes. Spoon evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake 35 to 40 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool 10 min. Loosen cakes from sides of pans with metal spatula or knife. Invert cakes onto wire racks; carefully remove pans. Cool completely.
- Place one of the cake layers on serving plate; spread evenly with 1 cup of the whipped topping. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and side of cake with remaining whipped topping. Sprinkle with remaining crushed candy canes just before serving. Store leftover cake in refrigerator.
- Savor a serving of this indulgent special-occasion dessert. At 18 servings, it's perfect for a holiday party.
- How to Keep the Cake Plate Clean
- Mark 4-inch square in center of cake plate with four 3-inch-wide strips of waxed paper. Stack and frost cake layers on center of waxed paper square. Any whipped topping drippings will land on the waxed paper keeping the plate clean! Remove waxed paper strips after frosting cake.
- Prepare as directed, using BREAKSTONE'S Reduced Fat or KNUDSEN Light Sour Cream.
- Jazz It Up
- Melt 1 additional square BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate; cool. Drizzle over cake just before serving. Garnish with fresh raspberries.
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
I have been making this cake for one of our Christmas Dinner desserts for years. It is an AWESOME cake. The only change I make to the recipe is to add a 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract to u...
Really delicious! Followed instructions for mixing the cake exactly except subbed mini choc chips for the chopped baking squares. I also baked it in a bundt pan instead of the 2 cake pans and ...
this cake is awesome! the perfect birthday cake or holiday cake. i used dark chocolate cake mix and that made it really dark and yummy. i omitted the candy canes and chocolate pieces. I did not ...
Very good! Like the last user, I just made the basic cake and didn't add peppermint candy or chocolate chips. Because the mix seemed very thick, I added 1/3 cup of 2% milk. Excellent cake! Bette...
Fantastic! I followed the recipe very closely, substituting mini s/s chocolate chips because that seemed easier. I crushed the candy canes and used the small pieces in the cake, the large pieces...
I made this cake for the first time today. I followed the directions except I had to convert some unsweetened chocolate to semi-sweet. Overall the cake is good, not too sweet. It didn't reall...
Very delicious, easy to make recipe. I ran out of oil so I substituted applesauce, I also made my own whipped cream; other than that, I followed the directions exactly. It was a huge hit at our ...
Perfect dessert! Followed the recipe exactly, tasted even better chilled! I’ll definitely make this again!