Ingredients50 m servings 37
- Chop scrubbed vegetables into 1-inch chunks. Remember, the greater the surface area, the more quickly vegetables will yield their flavor.
- Heat oil in a soup pot. Add onion, celery, carrots, scallions, garlic, parsley, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook over high heat for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add salt and water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Strain. Discard vegetables.
- Other ingredients to consider: mushrooms, eggplant, asparagus (butt ends), corn cobs, fennel (stalks and trimmings), bell peppers, pea pods, chard (stems and leaves), celery root parings, marjoram (stems and leaves), basil, potato parings . . . Get the idea?
- Click here for tips about preparing the perfect stock.
Per Serving: 37 calories; 1.4 5.9 1.3 0 227 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 102
Perfect simple vegetable stock and a great way to use up old vegetables. I throw all my vegetable trimmings in the freezer (stems from mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus etc) and bring them out when...
I loved the versatility of this recipe. I used the old, tired veggies sitting in my fridge and cut them up, threw them onto a baking sheet sprayed with olive oil PAM and after roasting, tossed t...
Yummy, and I had all I needed in my fridge. Doesn't call for anything I haven't heard of, and doesn't assume that because you're vegetarian, you like lentils, garbanzo beans, and tofu.
I keep a gallon zip loc bag in my freezer and add trimmings from fresh veggies as I slice and dice along with small bits of leftovers. When it's full, I dump it in the water with seasoning and ...
Amazing! Thank you for this recipe! I used a combination of fresh with frozen peppers & pearl onions etc.. the combinations are endless, add tomatoes or paste for a different base. A tip - if...
Been doing this for years. Except I toss the veggies with olive oil & roast at 400 for 1 hour. [Roasting brings out more flavor] Turning every 15 min. Then I simmer for an hour or more. I keep ...
This was the tastiest vegetable stock I ever made. Amazing how something so simple can turn out so yummy. I added some mushrooms and bay leaves, and substituted dill for the thyme and parsley....
Every Saturday, I used to come home with the week's groceries, and end up throwing out edible but rather sad-looking veggies that were taking up fridge space. I decided to look for something use...