Knaakkebrod or Nakkileipa (Scandinavian-Style Rye Crisp Bread)
Ingredients53 m servings 104 cals
- Sprinkle the yeast over the water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the rye flour with all-purpose flour in a large bowl. Stir in the salt. Mix in the yeast mixture to make a soft dough. Turn dough out onto a board floured with rye meal. Knead lightly, mixing in rye meal as needed. Shape dough into a fat roll, and cut into 12 sections. Roll each section into a ball; cover balls with a towel and let rise 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- On a floured board, roll out each ball into a flat round about 4 inches in diameter. Place rounds on prepared baking sheets and prick with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Cool on a rack.
Per Serving: 104 calories; 0.4 g fat; 22 g carbohydrates; 3.1 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 196 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Thank you for sharing your fantastic recipe. The finished product is just what I hoped for! I cooked the bread for 2 or 3 minutes longer than suggested, but I just moved to a new apartment a...
My problem was getting the rye meal! I finally decided to chop up rye berries! Other than that, the bread was easy to make! The taste and texture were great! This goes real well with a hearty...