- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Place watermelon rind in a saucepan and cover with water and bring this to a boil. Reduce the heat; simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes or until the rind becomes tender and translucent. Remove from heat and drain.
- Place cooked watermelon rind in a large bowl and add the cranberries, walnuts and vinegar. Combine the sugar, pumpkin pie spice, flour, and the salt. Add this to the rind mixture and stir well.
- Line a 9 inch pie plate with bottom pastry, trim the pastry even with the edge. Add the filling. Roll out the remaining pastry and make a lattice crust. Seal and flute edges.
- Cover pie with aluminum foil and bake at 425 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20-25 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake for another 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners sugar, orange rind and orange juice. Stir to combine, and spoon over hot pie. Cool on a wire rack.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 459 calories; 22.4 63.3 4.9 0 308 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
i eat a lot of melon and thought it would be a good way to use the rind. this is definitely different and not bad. you have to like a crunchy type pie with the rind, nuts, and dried cranberrie...
This pie reminds me of a meatless mincemeat pie, taste and texture is almost identical. I'm not a huge fan of mincemeat unless it's chopped real fine. If I ever made it again, I would definete...
This was just not to my liking, mainly because I don't like this kind of pie. It would be great in Fall (I made it in August), and is a great way to use up watermelon rind. In my family we eat u...