Green Tomato Mincemeat Fried Pies
Ingredients2 h 15 m servings 383 cals
- Coarsely chop the tomatoes. Place in a colander and, pressing with your hand, squeeze out as much tomato juice as you can. Transfer tomatoes to a large saucepan with 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; remove from heat and drain well.
- Return tomatoes to saucepan with 1 cup of cold water, bring to a boil; drain again.
- Place tomatoes back in the saucepan with remaining cup of water, apples, raisins, brown sugar, 3 1/2 teaspoons salt, vinegar, and 1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening. Cook slowly over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until tomatoes are transparent, about 30 minutes.
- In the last 5 minutes of cooking, add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, lemon rind and juice. Remove mincemeat from heat and set aside to cool.
- For the Pastry: In a large bowl, combine flour, 1 teaspoon salt ,and shortening. Add ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough barely holds together. Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out to 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Cut a 5-inch circle, place a large spoonful of filling on one half of the circle. Fold over and seal the edges by pressing them with a fork. Repeat with remaining dough.
- In a large heavy skillet, heat shortening to 360 degrees F (182 degrees C). Carefully place 4 pies in the hot shortening. Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining pies.
- Editor's Note:
- We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Per Serving: 383 calories; 10.5 g fat; 74.4 g carbohydrates; 2.6 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 456 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This made about 18 delicious little pies. You MUST seed the tomatoes, and strain off as much of the filling's liquid as possible (I used several layerings of cheese cloth), and cook down quite a...
i really thought that this recipe was horrific the worst thing i have ever tasted