Ingredientsservings 658 cals
- Cover beef kidney with lightly salted water. Cover, and refrigerate overnight. Drain off water. Cut out tubes and white membrane with scissors. Dice meat
- In a stew pot, brown kidney and steak in hot fat. Add onions, seasonings, and 1 1/2 cups water. Simmer until meat is almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and continue simmering until potatoes are tender, about 1/2 hour.
- Blend together flour and remaining 1/2 cup water; stir into meat mixture. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens. Pour into 3 quart casserole.
- Roll out pastry slightly larger than top of casserole. Place over meat mixture, and trim to overhang 1 inch. Fold under, and flute against inside edge of casserole. Cut several steam vents in center.
- Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) until lightly browned, about 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 658 calories; 30.9 g fat; 41.8 g carbohydrates; 50.6 g protein; 403 mg cholesterol; 1169 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
Very much like my Grandma's recipe, which was one of my favorite dishes that she made. I can only think of a few differences. I believe she used baking soda rather than salt to soak the kidneys....
This is a very, very good recipe. One thing I do is put it in individual casseroles or foil loaf pans, cover with pastry, and what I do not use cover tightly and they are ready to use for the ne...
I have never cooked or consumed Kidney before and was glad to be informed of the smell. I lit a candle and followed the recipe top to bottom. I did not eat this, but the 77 year old English cou...
This had great flavor. We followed the recipe exactly, but I might cut down on potatoes next time.
this was my first attept at a pot pie and i must say it was a surprise to see the end result.. one would think it was store bought, this was good,swaped bacon fat for the lard,oh and used store ...
Great S/K pie, I do add peas and carrots diced small and garlic mash potatoes on the side and make the dish for 4, great demand for steak and kidney lovers
I tried this, didn't use the potatoes and used a frozen pie crust that I rolled out. It came out great! The gravy was very tasty. We finished the whole thing in 2 days! Will definitely make it a...