Eggnog Pie with Rum
Ingredients1 h 45 m servings 391 cals
- Sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup dark rum to soften for about 10 minutes.
- Beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until the egg mixture falls like ribbon off the beaters, 3 to 5 minutes. Continue mixing on medium-high speed, and pour in scalded milk in a thin stream, mixing constantly.
- Transfer mixture into a saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard coats a spoon, about 20 minutes. Do not allow to boil. Take the pan off the heat, and transfer to a bowl. Stir in softened gelatin mixture and vanilla, stirring until gelatin is completely melted. Chill custard over a bowl of ice until room temperature. Stir occasionally; do not let the custard set up.
- Beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff but not dry; set aside. Whip 3/4 cup heavy cream until medium-stiff peaks form. Gently fold whipped cream into the whipped egg whites. Fold in custard. Spread filling into prepared pie crust. Chill for 45 minutes in the refrigerator, or until filling is set.
- Combine 1 cup chilled whipping cream, confectioner's sugar, 2 to 3 tablespoons rum, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Whip until soft peaks form. Spread over the top of the chilled pie, mounding in an attractive fashion. Dust the top of the pie with additional nutmeg.
- Cook's Note:
- I recommend a Pecan Nut Crust for this pie.
Per Serving: 391 calories; 27.5 g fat; 22.9 g carbohydrates; 7.4 g protein; 177 mg cholesterol; 173 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I like this recipe, I used the original one and it was very difficult to make so I really like the changes and how there is a better explination on the steps.
I do a lot of baking and found this recipe tricky to make. I don't mind time consuming recipes but found it really lacked taste. Tasted like whip cream and rum pie. Will not make again