Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 441
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar with 2 tablespoons flour and mix well. Stir in the molasses, egg, 1 cup water, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix thoroughly and pour into the unbaked pie shell.
- Cream the butter with the remaining 2/3 cup white sugar until light and fluffy. Add the beaten egg. Sift 1-1/4 cups flour and baking soda together, then add to the creamed mixture alternately with the buttermilk or sour milk (see Cook's Note). Spread over the top of the mixture in the pie shell.
- Bake in preheated oven until filling is set, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- If you don't have buttermilk, you can make sour milk. Combine 1/2 cup milk with 1-1/2 teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar. Stir, and set aside for about 5 minutes.
Per Serving: 441 calories; 14.8 72.6 5.8 62 279 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I'm not a fan of molasses, so I didn't care much for the taste. I made this pie for my grandparents, who also have a Pennsylvania Dutch background. They loved it, and asked me to make it for the...
This is a wonderful one pie recipe. My Pennsylvania Dutch grandmothers recipe makes 4 pies. This recipe is spot on.....it's a very old fashioned pie. Folks used what they had and in the depressi...
This was similar to a recipe I have, but mine called for 1/2 C. light corn syrup instead of molasses and only used 1/2 C. water and 1/3 C. sugar and 1Tbsp lemon juice for the bottom layer.