Vinegar Pie I
Ingredients55 m servings 267
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Mix the flour with 1/2 cup of sugar. Add the water gradually and cook on top of a double boiler for 15 minutes, stirring constantly, or until thickened.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar with the yolks and salt and mix well with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add the hot flour mixture to the yolk mixture gradually, mixing all the time. Return to the double boiler and cook for about 3 minutes more or until the mixture is thick and smooth.
- Add the butter, extract, and vinegar. Mix well and remove from heat. Place a piece of plastic on top of this custard.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until foamy and gradually add the 6 tablespoons sugar. Beat until a stiff, glossy peak is achieved.
- Pour the custard filling into the prebaked shell ( the custard should still be hot, if not, heat up a again before adding to shell). Top with the meringue. Spread the meringue all over the top of the pie, sealing to the edges of the crust. Place into the oven and bake until the meringue is a nice nut brown, about 15 minutes. Traditionally, this pie is served hot.
Per Serving: 267 calories; 8.3 45.5 3.5 81 163 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This pie is wonderful. Since it is so work intensive, I would make the filling next time in a larger quanity since the 9" pie amount (about a cup)is ok for a store bought pie crust but does not...
This is a great recipe. I recommend doubling the filling, because the recipe produces a small amount of filling.
I wanted to make this pie after reading the book The Giant Joshua by Maurine Whipple. Great book and great pie! Even though I like a fruit pie a la mode the best, I rate this 5 stars for what it...