Turkey with Chestnut Stuffing
1 made it | 0 reviews |
"With delicious chopped chestnuts in the savory stuffing, this golden roasted bird is a special Thanksgiving treat. It's a 'must' on the menu at the annual holiday meal my family shares with dear friends. --Ardis Rollefson Jackson Hole, Wyoming"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 40 m servings
Original recipe yields 18 servings
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring 2 qts. of water to a boil. Cut an "X" in each chestnut; drop into boiling water. Return to a boil; cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; peel outer shell and inner skin. Coarsely chop chestnuts; set aside.
- In a skillet, saute celery and onions in butter until tender. Transfer to a large bowl; add sausage, stuffing and chestnuts. Add broth and water; toss to mix.
- Loosely stuff turkey just before roasting. Skewer openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Brush with oil. Roast, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 4-1/4 to 4-3.4 hours or until a meat thermometer reads 180 degrees F for turkey and 165 degrees F for stuffing, basting occasionally. Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.
- Cover and let stand for 20 minutes before removing the stuffing and carving the turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy.
- Editor's Note: Stuffing can be prepared as directed and baked separately in a greased 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 325 degrees F for 40 min. Uncover and bake 10 minutes longer or until lightly browned.