Ingredients1 h 10 m servings
- In a saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Stir in bulgur. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat. Drain and squeeze dry; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, celery and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper and remaining water. Stir in reserved bulgur.
- Transfer to a 2-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until heated through. Serve on buns.
- Look for bulgur in the cereal, rice or organic food aisle of your grocery store.
- Nutritional Analysis: One sandwich equals 289 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 521 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
My whole family really liked this recipe, even my daughter who doesn't care for "sloppy joe" type dishes. I followed the recipe but did add a little smoked paprika,Worcestershire sauce and garli...
I wanted to try this to look for a healthier version, of sloppy joe but we were disappointed, this was just too sweet. I will make again but try and modify it, so it's not so sweet.
Great stretch for ground beef! I used about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar because another reviewer said it was too sweet. Nobody even mentioned the difference. I would add some chopped pepper to ...