Ingredients55 m servings
- In a large mixing bowl, combine butter and brown sugar; beat in eggs, chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream.
- Gradually beat in water. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, cream the butter, peanut butter, confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl until smooth; set aside. Split each cake into two layers. Place a bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with about 1/2 cup frosting.
- Repeat layers twice. Top with the remaining cake. Frost top and sides of cake. Gently press peanuts into sides of cake.
- Reduced-fat or generic brands of peanut butter are not recommended for this recipe.
ReviewsRead all reviews 40
This was my first from-scratch cake ever and boy was it a huge success!! My husband's first comment was that it was the best cake he'd ever eaten! It was gobbled up so quickly and everyone was o...
i'm giving this 5 stars because it's the best homemade cake i have made. it's very very moist.the changes i made was i used cake flour instead of all purpose used coffee instead of water and uns...
I made this for a friend/co-worker's birthday; it was very good, and I do quite a bit of baking. The cake was very moist and flavourful. I don't have any 9" pans so I used three 8" pans instead ...
I made this cake for some co-workers and they just loved it. You can't go wrong with this cake and the frosting is to die for. I added a chocolate glaze over the peanut butter frosting what more...
I made this a bithday cake for someone who liked reeses cups. And everybody loved it, I did not put the peanuts on because all I could smell was the peanut butter. And they all said it was decad...
Absolutely addictive! I love this recipe, in the cake I replaced 1/4c of flour with cocoa and like some others suggested I used cold coffee instead of water. For the frosting I only used about...
This was excellent. The only thing I changed is used part coffee and part water. Instead of peanuts I used chopped up peanut butter cups. It wasn't to chocolatly which was a nice change. I m...
I gave this 4 stars only because I had to cut the sugar down to 3 cups. I learnt the hard way and wasted a whole batch ... but in the end it was a HUGE hit!