Ingredients40 m servings
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Stir in pecans. Divide dough in half; shape into logs. Wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- On a floured surface, roll each portion to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 3-in. fluted round cookie cutter dipped in flour. With a floured 1/2-in. round cookie cutter, cut out the centers of half of the cookies. (Reroll small cutouts if desired.) Place solid and cutout cookies 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in lemon juice until smooth. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly, about 2 minutes. Stir a small amount into egg yolks. Return all to the pan; bring to a gentle boil; stirring constantly. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer until mixture reaches 160 degrees F and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat; stir in butter and lemon peel. Pour into a bowl; cover surface with plastic wrap. Chill for 2-3 hours (mixture will be thick).
- Spread 1 tablespoon filling over solid cookies; top with cutout cookies; pressing down lightly. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar. Store in the refrigerator.
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I really liked the taste of these. The curd was especially good! But they were messy. Might be less messy if you made a crust out of the dough in a minimuffin pan, then filled that with the c...
I'm giving this a 3 star, only because the cookie and the filling were good. But putting it together we had lots of problems. The cookie top would slide off of the bottom and most of the lemon...