Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 20 m servings
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- In a bowl, toss walnuts with 1/4 cup flour; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla; mix well.
- Combine the baking powder, salt and remaining flour; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in the reserved nut mixture.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine sugar, egg whites, water and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low speed over low heat until frosting reaches 160 degrees F, about 9 minutes.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high speed until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Frost the cake.
- We recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212 degrees F. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
- A stand mixer is recommended for beating the frosting after it reaches 160*.
ReviewsRead all reviews 2