Ingredients1 h 45 m servings
- For crepes, in a large mixing bowl, combine the milk, eggs and butter. Combine flour and salt; add to milk mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Heat a lightly greased 8-in. nonstick skillet; pour 2 tablespoons batter into the center of skillet. Lift and tilt pan to evenly coat bottom. Cook until top appears dry; turn and cook 15-20 seconds longer. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For filling, in a large saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons butter. Stir in the flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat to low; stir in the cream and 3/4 cup Gruyere cheese. Cook and stir until cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms and shallot in 2 tablespoons butter until tender. In a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and egg until smooth. Beat in mushroom mixture. Add enough cheese sauce to achieve a spreadable consistency. In a bowl, combine the spinach and 1/2 cup cheese sauce until blended. Add additional sauce if needed to achieve a spreadable consistency.
- To assemble, on two greased 9-in. ovenproof pie or tart pans, layer a crepe, spinach mixture, another crepe, then mushroom mixture. Repeat five more times. Pour remaining sauce over the stacks. Sprinkle with remaining Gruyere and Parmesan cheeses. Dot with remaining butter. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before baking. Bake at 350 degrees F; for 55-60 minutes or until bubbly and golden and a thermometer reads 160 degrees F. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into wedges.
- Test Kitchen Tip This dish can also be served at a brunch, luncheon or as a very special side dish. Be sure to use an attractive ovenproof plate so it can be brought from the oven right to the table. The crepes can be make in advance and frozen, and the dish can be assembled the morning of your party.
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This was delicious. It's very filling also. I followed the recipe as given, however I just altered the method. The crepes (which over here are just a richer version, with the addition of the but...
Takes a while to make, but tastes great! And this really can be an entree. I added some chicken to the cheese sauce.