Ingredients2 h 15 m servings
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, melt butter. Add onions and sugar; cook over low heat until lightly browned, about 1 hour.
- Sprinkle flour over onions and stir until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Add the water, salt, dried onion, bouillon, garlic salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Ladle soup into ovenproof bowls. Top with a slice of toasted bread; sprinkle with cheese. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees F for 5 minutes.
- TEST KITCHEN TIP Refrigerate the onions before slicing--your tear ducts won't get as much of a workout!
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
I totally messed this recipe up and it was still fabulous. I didn't add the sugar until after the onions cooked (oops) so I just added a little extra. Also, added regular salt by accident so jus...
I used vegetable broth instead of beef broth and did without the beef bouillon cube. I also used Vidalia onions and did without the sugar. Really creamy and delicious. The carmelized onions f...
I thought this soup was great. Due to my own preferences I used asiago bread and provolone cheese. I didn't do it this time but I like floating croutons instead of a whole slice of bread it ma...
This was good, but we thought a bit too peppery. We used slices of Swiss instead of shredded cheese, and it was good.
Excellent and very easy to make. Had it at a dinner party, out of 13 bowls served, only one bowl had ANY left in it.
Wonderful and easy. I have had bad luck with French onion soups coming out too salty, so I omitted the salt and used minced garlic, maybe a teaspoon full, rather than the garlic salt. Other th...