Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 145
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F ( 190 degrees C ).
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar Gradually add the vanilla and eggs while mixing. Sift together the flour and baking powder; stir into the egg mixture. For plain biscotti, do not add anything else (see Cook's Note). Stir in the anise extract and anise seed. Add walnuts if desired.
- Wet or grease your hands and shape dough out into 4 logs as long as your baking sheet will allow. Pat each one to about 3/4 inch in height, and 3 inches wide. Brush with beaten egg yolks.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown. Slice logs at an angle, cutting pieces into 1/2 to 3/4-inch wide cookies. Place slices back onto the cookie sheet, standing upright, if possible; leave a gap between the slices. Return to the oven and bake until cookies are dry and lightly toasted, about 10 minutes more.
- Cook's Notes:
- For plain biscotti, omit all of the flavorings. For walnut cookies, omit the anise seed and extract.
Per Serving: 145 calories; 5.3 21.6 3 40 89 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 16
This cookie recipe is FANTASTIC!! Very easy to make (my 9yr.old helped me). On my very first try they turned out perfect.(I omitted the walnuts,preferring only the anise). My Husband is impresse...
I wanted to make the perfect Biscotti recipe for Christmas gifts this year. I printed out 15 different ones from this site and tried them all. This recipe was the winner "hands down" with my f...
Delicious recipe! Just make sure the logs are not too thick or they not cook in the middle.
DELICIOUS! KEY NOTE: dough is very sticky so I allow for a bowl w/1 or 1.25 cups add'tl flour on the side for my hands when working the dough. They still turned out wonderfully. I gave it 5 star...
If you're a fan of biscotti, you'll enjoy these. Just the right sweetness and very fragrant. And, of course, great with coffee or tea.
These came out great. Light and airy and very crispy. Cooked them a little longer the second time, very delicious.
This recipe is AMAZING! I made some minor changes, 1c. whole wheat flour, omitted anise flavoring and seed, 1 tsp orange extract, 2 tsp orange zest and 1 1/2c. walnuts. I wanted to use dates but...
Wow, this is the best recipe for biscotti that I have ever used. It makes a lot and it is a good thing because they dissapeared so fast. I made it a few times each time adding something differ...