- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients. Stir into a ball, then turn dough out onto a floured surface . Knead dough for 1/2 hour. If you have a mixer with a dough hook attachment, mix for about 15 minutes.
- Let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4 to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into strips that are 3 inches long and 1 inch wide. In the center of each strip, cut a 1 inch slit, lengthwise. Pull one end of the strip through the slit to form a bow.
- In a frying pan or an electric skillet, melt shortening and heat to about 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). in a frying pan this would be on medium high heat.
- Place cookies in hot oil. Cook on both sides until lightly browned then remove to a paper towel.
- Dust finished cookies with confectioners sugar.
Per Serving: 504 calories; 31.5 46.2 8.6 184 186 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
These are fantastic cookies. Light and airy with the powdered suger dusting make them irresistible. You can't eat just one! I made these with my mother when I was growing up and were always a s...
Wonderful! I've been trying to find the recipe most like my Baba's because I left mine with my brother. We don't use alcohol in ours, either. I'm allergic to alcohol, so it was very important to...
I'd never heard of this before, but I needed a recipe to use up the leftover egg yolks from an angel food cake I'd made. I brought these to our Mother's Day brunch, and everyone loved them! Than...
So yummy! My grandmother made similar ones and I lost the recipe. I'm glad to have found one almost exactly like it again.