Mom's Walnut Bars
Ingredients55 m servings 263 cals
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (100 degrees C).
- Combine the white sugar, ground walnuts, orange zest, orange juice and 2 egg whites. This mixture will become very sticky and paste-like.
- Form the paste into a long rectangle on a smooth surface sprinkled with sugar so that it won't stick. The rectangle should be about 16 x 4 inches.
- Make the frosting by mixing the remaining egg white with the confectioners' sugar. You don't need to beat the egg white first! You may need to add a little water, or a little more powdered sugar to form a paste that you can easily spread, but that isn't runny.
- Spread the frosting over your rectangle. Use a knife covered with sugar to cut the rectangle into small 1 x 2 inch bars and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 35 minutes or until frosting is hard but still white. Enjoy with a big glass of milk!
Per Serving: 263 calories; 16.5 g fat; 28.1 g carbohydrates; 4.5 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 10 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
The dough was so gooey that there was no way I was going to be able to roll it out, even after adding quite a bit of spelt flower. Instead, I formed it into balls and flattened them on the cooki...
This recipe is missing A LOT of information. First of all - it's impossible to move the bars from the cutting surface to the cookie sheet while still maintaining some form, the quantities make ...
I followed the recipe and ignored the ratings. Taste was ok, consisitency was awful. Sticky and falling apart.