Ingredients4 h 45 m servings 246 cals
- Dissolve 2 teaspoons of sugar in 1 cup of water. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and allow to soften for 5 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir together the molasses, salt, 6 tablespoons of sugar, and shortening into the remaining 3 cups of water in a large bowl until dissolved. Add the raisins, flour, and caraway seed.
- Mix together until a dough forms, then turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 10 to 15 minutes. Place into a well oiled bowl, and brush the top with a little melted shortening. Cover with a cloth and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down, and allow to rise again until doubled in bulk, another hour.
- Lightly grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans. Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface, punch down, then form into two loaves. Place loaves into the pans, cover with a cloth, and allow to rise again until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bake loaves in preheated oven for 1 hour until they are nicely browned and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Per Serving: 246 calories; 2.1 g fat; 51.5 g carbohydrates; 5.3 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 296 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
This bread is really just delicious. I substituted honey for the sugar, and butter for the shortening and it came out great. You lose the refined sugar and the trans fats that way. It's a real...
This was a very good, flavorful raisin bread. I adjusted the amount to yield one loaf to see if we were going to like it (you can do this by clicking on Change Settings above the list of ingred...