Pfeffernusse Cookies II
- Combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and eggs until thick and light-colored. Beat in the lemon juice. Beat in the lemon zest. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients. Stir in the hazelnuts. Cover and chill for 4 hours.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to a thickness of 1/2 inch. Using a 1 1/2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out cookies and place 1 inch apart on lightly greased baking sheets. Cover the baking sheets with clean towels and leave undisturbed for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Turn the cookies over and place a drop of brandy in the center of each cookie. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until lightly colored. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Per Serving: 43 calories; 0.7 8.3 1 9 21 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Lebkuchen traditionally contains molasses and has a gingerbread like flavor and appearance. Sans hazelnuts, this is very close to the traditional recipe my German Grandmother made.
these are a version of lebkuchen not pfeffernusse, but makes a good cookie otrherwise