Ingredients2 h 40 m servings 315
- Crumble the yeast into a small bowl. Pour in the sugar and water, and stir with a fork until the yeast has dissolved. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, then stir in the salt and clarified butter.
- Pour the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the center. Stir in the yeast mixture, then knead until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 12 minutes. Return dough to the bowl, cover with a cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- While dough is rising, cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until nearly crispy; drain off fat. Mix together the sour cream, eggs, caraway seed, nutmeg, salt, and pepper in a bowl until smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle to fit a baking sheet. Place the dough onto the baking sheet and sprinkle with bacon. Evenly cover the dough with well drained sauerkraut, then drizzle the sour cream and egg mixture over the sauerkraut.
- Bake on the middle rack of the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until bread is browned on the top and underneath. Let cool slightly, then cut into squares to serve.
Per Serving: 315 calories; 20.6 24.9 8.1 99 680 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Let me qualify my review by first saying this: I did not use the dough part of this recipe, I used my own. That being said, this was a pretty good recipe. It tastes like a Reuben sandwich with...
The only reason I gave this 4 stars is because I am not crazy about caraway seeds and sauerkraut. I leave them out, even if I am German! Otherwise it is delicious!