Ingredients3 h 15 m servings 382
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the molasses, lard, salt, and raisins. Stir in the boiling water until smooth. Sift together the flour, ground ginger and baking soda. Stir the flour into the molasses mixture until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan,
- Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool to room temperature on a wire rack before removing from the pan.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the icing by simmering together the brown sugar and cream in a saucepan over medium heat. Heat to between 234 and 240 degrees F (112 to 116 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms a soft ball that flattens when removed from the water and placed on a flat surface. Pour the syrup into a bowl, add the butter, and beat with an electric mixer until the mixture begins to thicken, then set aside and allow to cool.
- Once the frosting and cake are both cool, spread the icing on the cake and serve.
Per Serving: 382 calories; 8.2 76.6 3.1 19 232 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This recipe is great for what it is... molasses bread. It tastes like molasses. My kids love molasses and love the bread. Hubby doesn't. It is fast and easy to make, and has a nice texture. I ...
I made this as cupcakes - baking for 20 minutes. The recipe is good. In terms of adapting for cupcakes, the caramel sauce/frosting is very tasty but it's not a good one for cupcakes since it's ...
Good. I recalculated the recipe to 4 servings.That really worked well,saves ingredients and makes just enough to sample. The reason for three stars was that I was looking for a recipe that was...