- Cream together butter or margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- In another bowl, sift flour, salt, and baking powder together. Blend in to the creamed mixture, and then add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to the dough.
- Spread dough in 9 x 13 inch greased baking pan, and sprinkle chopped nuts over top.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat egg white until stiff but not dry. Add brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla to the whipped egg white, and beat thoroughly. Spread meringue over the dough and nuts already in the pan.
- Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20 to 30 minutes. Cool, and cut into bars.
Per Serving: 169 calories; 7.5 24.1 2.3 26 107 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
my mil use to make these all the times at the cottage. I made a few changes to be the same as hers. In the topping, 2 egg whites, instead of 1, add 1/2 c. coconut. She also didn't use any van...
Very tasty, and quick and easy to make. I have one problem though: sometimes the meringue on the top stays soft after baking (still being delicious).
These are excellent!!! My Mom used to bake these and included them in her Cookie Gifts to neighbors and friends. They are not overly sweet, and have a delightful taste of both chewy (bottom la...
These were OK. I first made the mistake of letting everyone sample while still warm and the smell of the freshly baked egg white mixture on top really put us off, so I set them aside and they w...