Ingredientsservings 160 cals
- To Make Vanilla Sugar: Combine 1 1/2 to 2 cups sugar with a rinsed and dried vanilla bean in a pint jar. Cover and shake well. Shake occasionally for 2 -3 days. Use flavored sugar, replenishing with fresh sugar, as needed.
- Beat butter or margarine until soft and fluffy. Mix in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla sugar, and salt until mass has a lighter color.
- Beat the egg white into the creamed mixture, making sure to incorporate fully. Add in the flour and mix. Cover the dough, and rest the dough in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Take the dough out of the refrigerator, and roll it out until it is about 3/4 inch thick. Cut out circles with pastry cutters. Cut smaller shapes into the middle of half of the circles.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Warm up marmalade, apricot, or raspberry jam. Put some jam on the cookies without the holes in the middle. Then put the cookies with the wholes on top of the ones with jam. Sprinkle a bit of confectioners' sugar on top to make them look nice.
Per Serving: 160 calories; 7 g fat; 22.8 g carbohydrates; 1.6 g protein; 18 mg cholesterol; 55 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 12
These turned out beautifully. I learned how to make these when I lived in Germany, but I lost the recipe. This one seems identical. Make sure to cut out extra tops, because they will ocassionall...
Perfect. I struggled to use my mother in law's recipe, which is in German and uses weights rather than volume measurements. This recipe worked beautifully and even my German husband was thrilled...
These cookies are delicious! This has quickly become a new family favorite...I made a batch to send to my grandmother, but they were all gone before I could get them in the mail!
I've made Spitzbuben every year as part of my christmas baking, but lost my recipe in my recent move. These are delicious, I also pefer to use sour preserve like rasberry.
Lovely, light cookie! I wasn't able to give the recipe five stars, though, due to the following errors: If the dough were rolled out to 3/4" thickness, not only would you have a cookie that's ...
These are very yummy. The only reason it isnt getting 5 stars is because it was a real pain to make. Ive never made these before so I did not know if what I was doing is right. I wish the direct...
These are pretty good. I made them wrong though. Hah. They ended up really tall. :P