- Mix molasses, shortening and brown sugar in a large bowl. Stir in flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Cover and refrigerate about 4 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Roll half of the dough at a time to 1/8 inch thickness or paper-thin on a floured cloth-covered surface. Cut into 3 inch rounds with floured cutter.
- Place about 1/2 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 1/8 inch thick cookies about 8 minutes; paper-thin cookies about 5 minutes or until light brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheet. Cool completely.
- To Make Frosting: Mix 1 cup confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1-2 tablespoons half-and-half until of spreading consistency. Spread frosting on cooled cookies.
Per Serving: 326 calories; 9.4 58.5 2.8 1 180 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
These cookies are SO good, but they take some skill and a lot of work! Do NOT be in a hurry when you want to make these. Rolling them out really thin without them sticking to the work surface ca...
Great recipe... the spices are just right, and the crispy texture is great. I used coconut oil instead of shortening, and reduced the chilling time to an hour. The dough is quite sticky, so I ...
Very yummy. almost as good as the ones you can get from Old Salem =]