Chinese Almond Cakes
- Sift flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a large bowl. Using pastry blender or knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Beat the egg together with 2 tablespoons of the water and the almond extract. Add this to the flour mixture and mix with a fork until dough leaves the sides of the bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until it is smooth. Wrap it in foil or cling-wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Form dough into 1 inch balls and place them 3 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie to about 1/4 inch thick and press an almond into the center of each. Beat egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water and brush on cookies.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Per Serving: 185 calories; 9.6 22.2 2.9 42 119 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
These should be called plain "Almond cookies". I'm a chinese cookie or cake "monster" and am sorry to say that these are far from being chinese. Two things for sure, if they would be chinese, la...
Not the most authentic Chinese almond cookie recipe, but they're pretty good and certainly the closest I've found thus far.