Eggplant, Roasted Pepper and Chicken Pitas
Ingredients45 m servings 492 cals
- Sprinkle sliced eggplant with salt and allow to drain in a colander for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat a grill for medium-high heat (see Cook's Note).
- Pound chicken breasts between two sheets of plastic wrap to a thickness of 1/4-inch. Dredge with flour, shake off excess, dip into beaten egg, then press into seasoned bread crumbs to coat.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and cook until golden brown. Set aside.
- Wipe eggplant dry with a paper towel. If grilling, brush slices with remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Grill until tender and well marked.
- Crush garlic with a mortar and pestle with a pinch of salt. Whisk together garlic, red wine vinegar, and extra-virgin olive oil. Slice grilled eggplant into strips and toss with roasted peppers and balsamic dressing; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To assemble, heat pita breads on the grill until hot and marked. Slice chicken into strips and place into warm pitas along with marinated eggplant and red peppers.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can make your own roasted red peppers instead of buying them. This makes great leftovers--just assemble the sandwiches right before eating.
- You can also fry the eggplant rounds instead of grilling. Pour canola oil about 1/2 inch deep in a cast iron skillet or heavy pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Wipe salted eggplant slices dry with a paper towel. Working in batches, fry eggplant until golden brown on each side. Lay cooked eggplant on a plate lined with double sheets of paper towels, because eggplant soaks up a lot of oil.
Per Serving: 492 calories; 18.4 g fat; 60.2 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 94 mg cholesterol; 1754 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
This is such a divine dish!! One mistake- Its supposed to be red wine vinegar- not balsamic!!
Delicious and pretty healthy except for all the olive oil! I didn't coat the chicken in flour first and didn't miss it. Also, we ate ours woithout the pita and it was just fine. I think next ...
AWESOME! I cut up fresh red bell pepper and put them in the skillet with olive oil and garlic until fork tender. I fried up my eggplant because I didnt want to clean my george foreman. I added f...
I thought this was great I didn't have red wine vinager but used white wine instead and it turned out fine also didn't have any roasted red peppers so I just excluded them and I still loved it. ...
Reminded me of the flavors I had on my Mediterranean vacation - "Mezze" platters in Turkey. Also, try adding artichoke hearts and feta. If your artichoke hearts/roasted red peppers are marinat...
If I could give it more stars, I would. This was DIVINE!! I followed the recipe as said w/ the exception of roasting my own red bell peppers. I didn't have pita bread, so we used spinach wrap...
Made this tonight with naan bread. My family of 7 raved about it, (ranging from my husband, teenagers, and a two year old). It's going to stay as a regular "sandwich" in this family. I served i...
Good recipe! I did an ingredient search with chicken and eggplant and this recipe came up. It was perfect. I used balsamic because I love the flavor, and also added fresh cilantro from our gar...