- Combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and nutmeg in a bowl and set aside.
- Beat together in a large bowl the melted shortening and the brown sugar. Beat in the eggs, then the vanilla extract. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Shape dough into a log measuring 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap log in waxed paper or foil and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (180 degrees C). Lightly grease 2 baking sheets.
- Slice log into slices 1/4 inch thick. Place slices 1 inch apart on the baking sheets. Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly colored. Cool on wire racks.
- Partner Tip
- Reynolds® Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 209 calories; 9.1 30.1 2.2 16 38 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
These cookies are a little crunchy on the edges, yet chewy. A nice mix for us. They are also nice because they are easy, use ingredients on hand, and don't have a lot of stuff in them (sometim...
I made a double batch of these a week or so before Christmas to go into my goodie boxes that I give every year. They never lasted until I needed them. Because they went so fast, I ended up mak...
Perfect and simple ice box cookie. It took 9 minutes in my oven to lightly crisp the edges leaving a chewy center. Thanks so much for sharing this gem.
I love these cookies. I would only change 2 things; I would add toffee bits and I would leave out the nutmeg -you can hardly taste it and it dodesn't need to be there.