Italian Pepper Balls
- Melt shortening and cool. Add in white sugar, 1/2 cup cocoa, black pepper, ground cloves, allspice and ground cinnamon. Stir in flour, baking powder and baking soda and mix well. Stir in milk, 1 ounce brandy, rum or whisky and chopped nuts.
- Wrap dough in plastic and refrigerate 4-8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Break off little pieces of dough and roll into small balls, about 3/4 inch in diameter. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 20 minutes. DO NOT overbake. Remove from pan and roll in glaze.
- To Make Glaze: Combine 1/3 cup of butter, 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar, 5 tablespoons cocoa, and 2 ounces of brandy, rum or whisky. Mix until smooth. Roll cooled cookies in glaze and place on waxed paper to dry.
Per Serving: 77 calories; 3.6 9.8 1.1 2 22 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
These cookies were very good and really quite easy to make. I followed the recipe almost exactly. I didn't have brandy so I used Southern comfort. After the dough was mixed we couldn't really...
The glaze was the hardest and messiest part, and I didn't have enough for the whole recipe -- maybe I did something wrong? But the cookies were devoured!
Oh, I had high hopes for these cookies, but they are almost not edible. The alcohol flavor is too much and there is really nothing to balance that out.