- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- To make Macaroons: Line 2 baking sheets with ungreased foil. In large bowl combine almond paste, egg whites, sugar, almond extract and salt. Beat with mixer at medium until well blended.
- Spoon into pastry bag with #8 star tip. Press batter into 1 1/4 inch rounds. Bake 10-15 minutes, until pale golden. Remove foil to wire racks to cool. Carefully remove cookies and place on waxed paper lined pans.
- To Make Filling: While cookies are baking; melt 9 squares semisweet chocolate in double boiler. Remove from heat and beat in 1/2 cup butter. Add egg yolks and rum until smooth. Let stand until slightly thickened, (about 1/2 hour), stirring occasionally. Spread 1 teaspoon filling on bottom of each macaroon. Refrigerate filling side up on pan until firm, about 1 hour.
- To Make Glaze: Work with small quantities of chocolate at a time. Melt sweet cooking chocolate in double boiler until smooth. Remove from heat. Test chocolate, it should feel lukewarm. Dip cookies filling side down rotating to coat completely. Place on waxed paper and refrigerate until set. Store tightly covered in refrigerator.
Per Serving: 161 calories; 10.2 16.8 2.1 29 14 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
First, let me say that Sarah Bernhardts are my favorite gourmet cookie. This recipe is fantastic, if you correct the 1 error in the ingredients. As per the recipe, I made the cookie using 1 oz...
should have read the other review before beginning this recipe. There is an error in the amount of almond paste called for in this recipe. Adding only 1 oz. results in a soupy batter that made...