- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cream together the sugar, shortening and eggs. Add vanilla and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Add to brown sugar mixture and stir until it is a soft dough.
- Roll out, cut with cookie cutters and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Aluminum foil can be used to keep food moist, cook it evenly, and make clean-up easier.
Per Serving: 269 calories; 7.5 47 3.8 31 59 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
Bland, Bland, Bland! Cookies had no flavor. They were very easy to make but I wouldn't make them again unless I used this as a base for something else - like adding spices or nuts. Also, don'...
Can't wait to try this recipe. It reminds me of my Grandmother's (she passed away 39 yrs ago) brown sugar cookies. Yes, they tasted slightly bland, but make great dunking cookies for milk.
I cut out even numbers of these with cookie cutters, bake, then when they are cool, spread the back of one cookie with strawberry jam and put it together with another cookie of the same shape. T...
I love this recipie! I baked mine on tin foil and i don't know if that changed anything, but they turned out really chewy. i haven't frosted them yet but i'd eat them just as they are. they roll...